A walk through Lalbagh, Bangalore.
Every time I walk into this beautiful garden, there is something new it has to show me and tell me about. Each and every tree, plant, flower, animal, rock, everything seems so alive and happy.
This 240 acres of heaven welcomes thousands of people everyday and only makes sure all of them enjoy the enchanting freshness.
Built by Hyder Ali in 1760, its one of the largest lung spaces in Bengaluru.
As I enter Lalbagh from the West Gate, a plethora of green on both sides stares at me with open hands. I usually choose to start from the left.
A long pathway that has a wide variety of humongous trees, bushes and beautiful flowering trees, leads to the gate where I read the quote, "ಕೈ ಮುಗಿದು ಒಳಗೆ ಬಾ, ಇದು ಸಸ್ಯ ಕಾಶಿ".
![]() |
| One of the largest trees in the country |
![]() |
| The huge silk cotton tree |
On my left I see a majestic red building amidst so much green n colour. Its the horticulture department. Im sure these guys are some of the luckiest people, working in such a wonderful place.
![]() |
| Banyan tree in front of the horticulture department building |
As I finish admiring the red building, waiting for me is a canopy of silver oak trees on my right. This is one of my most loved stretch at Lalbagh. Its always rich green, pleasant, quite and empty. It seems like the sun peeps through these trees to wink at the passers by.
Followed by a huge lawn for kids to play, people to rest, and if its afternoon, I even find some birds totally in love sitting below the trees here and there.
Going ahead from here, if I go left, I pass through the lane of stalls which brighten up during the bi-annual flower shows and fruit melas and reach the legendary glass house. This was built in 1889, during the British rule, to commemorate the visit of Prince of Wales. Its the place where the world famous flower shows are held during Republic day and Independence day every year.
If I went left, I see the Lalbagh Rock, one of the oldest rock formations on earth, dating back to 3,000 million years. On top of this is one of the Kempegowda tower, which was supposed to mark as one corner of the city, but ironically, Bengaluru has grown around it.
Walking up this hill is a pleasure by itself. No matter when, there is a cool breeze that is blowing and there are pity vendors selling sliced and spiced tomatoes, cucumber and pineapple. From here, the grandoise Vidhana Soudha, muscular Chinnaswamy cricket Stadium, classy UB City, tall Utility Building and a lot more places in central Bengaluru.
Going down the hill towards the lake, I am all smiles to see the paradise of pink lotus', bright and bloomed.On the other side of the lotus pond is the captivating and majestic lake. No words suffice to explain the beauty of this place in Lalbagh. On one bank of the lake, a long path is laid where fish, ducks and swans are by you side. The other bank has a rich lush green garden and nursery on one the left, lined with chickoo trees just beside the walkers track.








No comments:
Post a Comment